Rishikesh is a peaceful and holy town around 8 hours from Delhi in (Uttarakhand) northern India. It is the adventure capital of India. It is a town with so many Ashrams and it is famous for the yoga world-wide. River rafting in Rishikesh is very popular among youngsters. Rishikesh is also known for the gateway to the Char Dham. Ashrams in Rishikesh are the soul of the city. Parmarth Niketan Ashram is the best place to participate in the Ganga aarti.
Spirituality, Adventure sports, Ashram, Temples, Ghats.
Shivpuri, Kunjapuri Trek, Beatles Ashram, and Neelkanth Mahadev.
3 to 5 days.
Best time to visit
Any time of the year is good except monsoons.
Things to do
- Rafting in Rishikesh
- Bungee Jumping
- Bonfire and Camping
- Cliff Jumping
- Rock Climbing
- Ayurvedic Spa and Massage
- Meditation and Yoga
- Exploring the local markets and food
- Take part in the Ganga aarti at Triveni Ghat
- Visit Lakshmana Jhula
Some interesting facts about the city Rishikesh
- The name of city Rishikesh is derived from the word Hrishika which means ‘senses’ and isha means lord, thus ‘Lord of the senses’ which is referred to god Vishnu.
- Rishikesh city is also known as the gateway to the four Dhams, which are Kedarnath, Badrinath, Gangotri, and Yamunotri. Lots of people visit Rishikesh every year to learn spirituality, peace, and yoga.
- Neelkanth Mahadev temple is about 30 km away from Rishikesh. It is the temple of Lord Shiva. According to mythology, Lord Shiva came here for peace and meditation when he drinks poison during sea churning. Due to the poison, Lord Shiva’s throat became blue that’s why he is known as ‘Neelkanth’ (blue-throated). Timings of the temple are 5 am to 1 pm and 4 pm to 9 pm
- This city is also known as the “Yoga Capital of the World” because of various yoga centers which attracts most of the visitors every month.
- You’ll not be able to find any type of non-vegetarian food as well as alcoholic product in the town. These things are strictly prohibited in the Rishikesh.
- The literacy rate of this city is around 86% which is compared to the national average of 74.04%.
- Apart from spirituality, the city is well known for adventure activities such as rafting, camping, trekking, and bungee jumping.